Friday, November 25, 2011

Without Complaint

"Be hospitable to one another
without complaint."
                              -I Peter 4:9

Could it be that complaining cancels out hospitality?

What about quiet complaining, not even spoken out loud, just whispered--muttered--in my own heart?

Where does it come from, this urge to complain?

Does comparison create complaining?

Comparing and complaining blinds me to blessings and paralyzes hospitality.

Counting my blessings and giving thanks makes love overflow and hospitality happen.

Please, Lord, keep teaching me how to be hospitable.

Thank You for showing me how through those who have shown me hospitality.

Thank You, Lord, for:
*an achingly beautiful afterglow on the river
*so many, many bright stars
*my children growing up--for who they are
*roses from the yard to grace our tables
*the bounty of the table and the blessing of the relationships
*the miracle of love that covers a multitude of sins
*sisters and brothers and family
*sunshine and shells and a beach and a morning walk
*fresh cranberry sauce
*pies, glorious pies (with a good cup of coffee)

With gratitude,
Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment