Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I Found Jesus!

Today I went up and down the stairs
carrying the boxes--
boxes full of ornaments
and Christmas books
and bows
and, my favorite,
nativity sets.

Last year I left the one that Victor and the children had given me one Christmas
out until Valentine's Day because we just needed to see it a little bit longer.
We didn't pack it up very well.
I found the stable in 3 pieces
and a wise man lying on the attic floor alone.
Mary and Joseph were together but the manger was empty.
Then I found a box with carefully wrapped figures:
the other wise men were there
and the shepherd boy
and the donkey and the sheep.
After I had unwrapped each one and sifted through the tissue paper several times,
I realized
Baby Jesus was missing.
I swallowed hard and ran up two flights of stairs
and dragged the lamp as close to the attic door as its cord would allow
and took off the shade
and tilted it into the doorway
and knelt down.
Please, God, help me find Jesus.
My hands felt slowly over the insulation.
Nothing.
Then, behind a rafter, my fingers touched something small.
Yes. Jesus.
I was so afraid I had lost Him.
As I placed Him in the manger, in the midst of faces fixed on Him,
I knew that in each of us there is an empty place
that truly can only be filled
with Jesus.
Only Jesus.
I thought I had lost Him.
But, no, I found Jesus.
Thank You, God.

Thank You also, Lord, for:
*a nativity scene for every room
*built in exercise:  bringing boxes down the stairs and going back up again and again
*the last of the Thanksgiving turkey
*Mary Ellen giving me a ride to choir practice
*going to choir practice after so long
*sing about my Savior--worship on Wednesday night
*being next to Bikie
*new faces
*Gretchen's faith
*Victor working so hard for us

With gratitude,
Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment