Thursday, June 16, 2011

Lay Down the Life

From "My Utmost for His Highest":

"Greater love hath no man that this,
that a man lay down his life for his friend". . .
"I have called you friends."
                                            John 15:13,15

"Has the Lord ever asked you --
'Wilt thou lay down thy life for My sake?'
It is far easier to die
than to lay down the life day in and day out
with the sense of high calling.
We are not made for brilliant moments,
but we have to walk in the light of them
in ordinary ways."

Lord, friend, are you asking me to lay down the life
          day in and day out?
          with the sense of high calling?
          in ordinary ways?

Today, how will I lay down the life You have given me?

How will I give it back to You?

Day 5 - gifts from God:
1.  the sound of gentle rain in the night
2.  waking up a few minutes before the alarm
3.  JV's third scope going smoothly
4.  Pat complimenting Ben and his dimples showing
5.  mother-daughter lunch
6.  friends celebrating each other's birthdays
7.  an invitation to a party for friend's "big 8-0"
8.  summer soccer
9.  good doctor's report from Dad
10.  Margaret going the extra mile

Maybe going the extra mile is laying down the life.
Lord, help me to follow Margaret's example today.

With gratitude,
Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment